Saturday, June 27, 2015

Saturday, 6/27 - Texas Bound



0600 - I awoke to find the car and Ama Mam right where I left them. I had breakfast grabbed a shower, and knocked off some emails before heading out.

0815 - I hit the road, but I started off very tired - not a great way to start a long day of driving. It is looking like a 6 pack coffee day. I set the GPS for Beaumont, TX hoping to make it that far, and here is what Siri served up as I got on the highway ...
Dang! That stinks. One road for 499 miles today. Not sure I can do that.

1500 - I've been stopping about every hour or so for gas or just to stretch. Here's a shot of Ama Mama taking a rest at a rest stop.

1845 - BLOWOUT! I had a feeling that might happen on this trip. So, I got a new spare before I left. Below are some shots of the blowout and fix. I ultimately had to get out my car jack because the little hydraulic jack I had was not tall enough. Also, check out the video below of what the tire changing situation was like!





1925 - It was time to go after the tire change, but I looked up and saw that I had a short "runway" to get back on the highway. I had to floor it into a gap!

Not long after just after the sun went down, I was low on fuel on the 18.2 mile Atchafalaya Basin Bridge (see photo below). If you've never been on this bridge, it is not a place where you want to get a flat or run out of gas. There is no shoulder and no way to get off for many miles. Fortunately, I was soon off the bridge and got some gas.

2130 - I decided to stop short of Texas for the evening at the Holiday Inn Express in Scott, LA. This is essentially the same area I stopped on the way to Florida two weeks ago. Get some rest and get home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment