Thursday, June 25, 2015

Thursday, 6/25 - Last Day on the Water

Awoke at 0400 without an alarm. Got everything ready to go, and then I took a nice warm shower in an air conditioned bathroom! 

Nice facilities at West End, and you pay for it too!


Left the dock at 0515 and followed a sport fishing boat out. I raised the main and pulled out the screacher as soon as I was outside the breakwaters. It is a gentle 5-7 knots from the SE - nothing like when I came over. I hope the wind picks up this afternoon.

Next all three lines are in the water. I was not able to get any Ballyhoo like Alex wanted me to, but let's see what the artificials can produce this morning.

1000 - No fish yet, and I'll have to stop fishing in a couple of hours when I get into Florida waters. I'm following Elie's advice and steering 34° South of the St. Lucie inlet waypoint in order to let The Stream push me North. I'm not in the heaviest party of a The Stream yet, but I'm already consistently seeing consistent 6's. I saw over 9 knots COG when I came over last week in the middle of The Stream. Saw this "little" ship pass me astern earlier.

1020 - Wind just picked up, and seeing lots of 7's now. The Stream is an incredible conveyor belt of the Atlantic.

1420 - 18 miles out and doing a consistent 6 knots no doubt helped by The Stream. The wind is very light from the SE, but enough to keep the screacher up. That is a great thing because it is keeping the West afternoon sun out of the cockpit. The waypoint and my COG are essentially as they should be, but my heading is about 60° South. Check it out below.

Given the relatively clam conditions today, I've been busy cleaning up the boat to get ready to pack it up and head home tomorrow. I even got the washing machine (water, soap, a cooler, and a rocking boat) going again.


I'm tired. I think the adrenaline of the trip is wearing off!

1745 - I have arrived at the St. Lucie breakwater and I decide to drop the main before heading in. Once, I do head in, it is clear that there is an incoming tide as I am easily reaching 6+ knots speed over ground.

Total Distance = 71 nm
Elapsed Time = 13 hrs
Average Speed = 5.5 knts


1830 - I approached the Sandsprit Park launch ramp and the Sheriff's boat is at the dock. Great! Not these guys again. He was parked poorly on the launch ramp side tie; i.e. right in the middle taking up two spots. I approach slowly letting him know that I intended to tie off behind him. He indicated that he would moved up. As he was doing that, I came along side, grabbed my dock lines and tied off.

S; Where are you coming from?
P: West End.
S; You crossed on that?
P: Yes, sir. 
S: I'm assuming you have registration and all of the appropriate safety equipment. 
P: Yes, sir.
S: Can I see your registration please?
P: Yes, sir.

I hand him the registration, and he looks it over.

S: Thanks. I need to do a safety equipment check too.
P: Ok. What would you like to see.
S: Fire extinguishers, throw cushion, and sound producing device.

I produced all three in order, and he was satisfied. At that point, he lightened up. I assumed he was just doing his job. So, I didn't mind. He started chatting me up about me trip, and he got this far off look in his eyes and said he'd like to do that sometime. I asked him if he was going to be hanging out at the dock for a while, and he indicated that he would be. I told him I'd appreciate it if he watched the boat while I walked the mile I needed to go to get my car and trailer. He said that would not be a problem.

1915 - I returned with the car and trailer to find the Sheriff had left. Oh, well. The walk took longer than I had wanted because I was carrying my dry box that contained my computer, money, phone, etc. It was too heavy to run with. So, it took me about 35 minutes to get the car/trailer and get back here. 

My objectives at this point were to get the mast down, take everything back to the storage yard, get something to eat, get a shower, and get some sleep. I would deal with getting the boat/trailer ready for the 1,300 mile journey back to Austin tomorrow. As I was pulling the boat out of the water, the Sheriff returned and actually apologized for leaving before I got back. He said he had to go free a manatee that had gotten trapped up somewhere - a noble reason to abandon Ama Mama!

2100 - I finally got everything back to the storage yard, parked the trailer/boat, and disconnected the trailer for the evening. In the few minutes that I was disconnecting the trailer, I got the blood sucked out of my lower legs by the mosquitoes in the tall grass. I lasted the whole trip with only a bite or two, and now I had dozens in a matter of minutes. Oh well. Just part of the adventure.

2130 - Steve Marsh recommended the Harbor Inn in Stuart. So, I headed that way, got in my room, and headed to the associated bar / restaurant. "Sorry, the kitchen closed at 9pm." Bummer. I quickly checked my phone for local restaurant recommendations and saw one nearby called "Sailor's Return". If I was writing a movie script, I couldn't have thought that one up. It sounded perfect. So, I headed that way.

2150 - The kitchen at Sailor's Return was closing at 2200. So, I ordered calamari, a portabella mushroom appetizer, and a cold beer. Awesome!



2230 - I headed back to the hotel, showered up, and crashed around 2300. A successful return crossing was behind me!

No comments:

Post a Comment