Friday, June 12, 2015

Friday, 6/12 - Almost in Trouble

I got up at, 0700 so that I could meet Steve Marsh at 0830 at his shop. We met and figured out the car/trailer storage  situation. Then, I headed to the Publix grocery store to stick up supplies and ice for the trip. I got down to the launch ramp around 1030, and started to get the boat ready to launch. John of Gimmie Samoa from Rockport arrived after 1100 to help me setup, and I was very grateful for his assistance.

John and his wife, Rose, grabbed lunch and then came back with their boat, and I helped them get the mast up. I finally got underway at around 1500. If I could make good time, I would get to Palm Beach before dark. If only the wind was with me!

If the picture above looks fairly black, it is supposed to be that way. This was my view of the Palm Beach skyline as I approached from sea at around 2300. I knew I had gotten a later start than I wanted, but I also knew that cruise ships go in and out. So how hard could it be for a 19.5' boat even at night? I knew that there were range beacons. So, my plan was to line up on the range and head on in. 

All was going great until I saw red and green lights headed straight for me. I quickly disengaged Shifty and took a hard right. Turns out it was the pilot boat telling me to get the @$&! out of the way because there was a ship coming out. So, I moved over the the North side of the channel, and the ship passed on my port side several minutes later - no biggy.

Now some of you are probably thinking how I could miss a ship coming out of the channel, but it was actually quite easy. Of course, I checked for inbound and outbound boats before I lined up on the range, but Palm Beach Harbor is interesting because it takes a sharp turn to port as you are coming from sea. So, I actually couldn't see the ship behind the high rises, but he could see me on radar. However, my amateur mistake was not turning on my VHF when entering port. I turned it off when it got dark to save battery power and forgot to turn it back on. Otherwise, I probably would have heard them hailing me.

That's not the end of the story though. After the ship passed, I started getting scanned by a search light from a nearby vessel. I thought it was the Pilot Boat again, but this time it was the Sheriff!  Here's basically how the conversation went as he pulled alongside:

S: Where are you coming from?
P: Stuart.
S: From Sea?
P: Yes, Sir.
S: How many people on-board?
P: One.
S: Just you?
P: Yes, Sir.
S: Where are you headed?
P: Not sure.
S: Sir, where are you headed?
P: Not sure yet. This is my first time here, and I'm looking for a place to tie up for fuel.
S: This is your first time here and your coming in late at night by yourself?
P: Yes, Sir. I was following the range lights in.

Flashes light at registration numbers.

S: Are you from Texas?
P: Yes, Sir.
S: We're going to come along side and check papers.
P: Would you like me to drop the mainsail first so we don't get pushed into the shore while your checking papers?
S: Yes please.
P: OK, I need to turn up into the wind to drop the main.

The Sheriff backed off, and I turned into the wind to drop the main. After the main was secure, the conversation continued.

P: OK, are you coming along side?
S: We got another call. So, we're going to let you go. There's a marina just North of here with a fuel dock called "Sailfish".
P: Great! That's where I'm going. Thank you.

This is actually where I had planned to go, but I couldn't remember the name of it when the Sheriff asked where I was going. As I pulled into a slip next to the fuel dock, a night guard approached.

P: What time does the fuel dock open?
G: 7am. If you want to wait, I'm going to have to charge you slip fees.

Given that it was almost 1am at this point, I said, "Great, I'm 20'. How much is it going the be?"

I got paid up and crashed in the cockpit. 

Total Distance = 29nm
Elapsed Time = 12 hrs
Average Speed = 2.4 knts (That stinks! The Stream is a lot more formidable than I anticipated.)


I awoke about 6 am as boats started to arrive for fuel. I overheard one guy saying to his friend, "Can you image going to the Bahamas in that thing?" as he looked my direction. I thought to myself, "Yes, I can! Let the adventure begin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment