Saturday, June 20, 2015

Saturday, 6/20 - The Best Reef FIsh Ever!


1030 - Carmina, Teri, and I took the boat around to Mermaid Reef while Scott and the kids took the  car for a 5 minute ride there. I wanted to take Ama Mama there even though it would take longer because I knew that Ama Mama would become our snorkeling platform for Mermaid Reef, and I was right. Mermaid Reef is hands down the best fish viewing reef I have ever been to. It wasn't just the quantity of fish as sometimes you were swimming through clouds of them, but it was the diversity that struck me. I had never seen such a display of reef fish. It seemed as if something wasn't right. It was to perfect!

NOTE - later, I confirmed my suspicion. The matriarch of the family in the rental next door to us was a native of Marsh Harbor, and she was in town with her Texas husband for a family reunion. It just happens that her grandfather owns the land just off of Mermaid Reef, and for years he would paddle out to the reef and feed the fish. The little human intervention attracted the most diverse reef fish population I have ever encountered. SSSSHHH! Don't tell anyone about this! ;-)



1430 - We had enough of Mermaid Reef, and it was time to head home to get ready for Church. It turns out that our hosts', The Vaughans, housekeeper (Jo) and marina manager (Rey) are both from the Philippines. Of course, Carmina hit it off with both of them, and they invited to attend Saturday night Mass with them.

1640 - We were running late for Mass because it was up in Treasure Cay at 5pm. Rey said not to worry and we took off with them. He assured us that someone would be headed back this way, and we could get a ride.

The Church in Treasure Cay is a small, but beautiful stone church. The pastor is Filipino also, and there are a total of 14 Filipinos in the Abacos. Of course they all comprise the choir!


After Mass, we were invited to the Pastor's house for some Blue Marlin ceviche. When I asked Rey how we were getting home, he handed me the keys to his car! Really! You have to love the worldwide Filipino community! I married well!

1900 - While we were at Mass, Teri and Scott fired up the grill and cooked of the Amber Jack from our fishing expedition last night. It tasted way better than I though it would for a relatively bloody fish.

A few margaritas later, and it was time to call and end to another awesome day in the Abacos. We had big plans for father's day tomorrow, and we needed our rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment