Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday, 6/23- Aaahhhhh!


It is sad to leave but, the downwind sail is awesome! It is payback time for last week's bashing. I'm currently headed dead downwind with main out to starboard and screacher out to port. The autopilot is steering, and I'm TOTALLY relaxed. I'm not needing to motor to windward like this charter boat!


We were out fishing until about 1230am last night, but I got up at 630am anyway because I still had a lot to do to get ready to go, and I wanted to see if I could catch Bill and the others at Guana Cay before they weighed anchor for the day. Between packing gear and coolers and saying goodbye, it took me about 3 hours to get underway. We hugged and took pictures, and then I was off.


Here's my leaving our rental for the return trip as seen by Alex.



I immediately raised the main, and by the time I turned around to look back at the dock, everyone had left and went inside. I should have told them that I was going to sail back their way, but I was sad when they were all gone. I sailed right by our rental house and yelled at the house. I guess Scott heard me because he came out on the back deck and waived.

Unfortunately, I had to motor into the wind up the channel, but once I got out of the channel and set my course for Guana Cay, I was able to set the sails wing & wing. Along the way, I kept hailing Bill - "Bird of Prey, Bird of Prey, Ama Mama." I tried about every half hour. Finally, after a week of trying to reach him, Bill answered!

P: Where are you at?
B: We just left Guana Cay and are headed south.
P: I'm headed right at you then.
B: I think I see you up ahead.
P: I see you all now too.

We chatted about a several topics, got caught up, and I thanked him again for his efforts in getting the auto-pilot for me. Within a few minutes Ama Mama was crossing paths with the Rockport Yacht Club's 3 boat flotilla. I was so excited to see those guys, I forgot to take pictures. I just stood out on the net and waived!

Noon - Pasta for lunch. Thanks, Carmina!

Given that I missed it yesterday, I decided to stop in at Green Turtle Cay to top of ON fuel but more importantly ICE for the fish. Yeti coolers are great, but even they have trouble making it several days in this heat. The good news is that the fish cooler does not need to be opened. Below are a couple of shots of Green Turtle Cay homes as I approach the harbor entrance channel.




1425 - Came in hot to the fuel dock at Green Turtle Cay with a 15 knot breeze behind me and no one in sight to throw lines to. Made it in without an incident, but it was a little dicey. I purchased a gallon of gas and 20 pounds of ice and got the heck out of there, The place looked dead, by the dock master said he expected it to be much busier the following week with the Abacos Regatta.

1550 - Wind moved WNW to port close reach due to rain cloud. It was a nice change to not be doing dead downwind for a while, and there was a cool, rain cloud breeze.

1630 - Wind NW motoring directly into a light wind, Sea of Abaco like glass now. Wish I would have had this wind last Wednesday.

500pm - Wind begins a slow migration from the NW back to the SE going North and then East allowing me to get on a starboard tack.


1730 - Passing Spanish Cay (see photo above. I definitely would not have made it here in time for ice and fuel.

1830 - The SE wind is back! Doing 6's along the Northern shore of Little Abaco.

2000 - Rounded Hawksbill Cay and was able to come up about 15 degrees onto a broad reach! My first long reach of the trip - 8 miles into West End Rocks. Hit 9.3 surfing wind waves. Consistently doing 5s and 6's. The breeze eventually moved more South, and I had an awesome beam reach with the fading sun.

2152 - Anchor down and motor off. 61 miles today and 60 more tomorrow to West End. I called Alex and checked in. Carmina and Alex ended up getting stuck in Orlando on their trip back to Austin, and they're going to spend the night with some of our friends there.

Total Distance = 61 nm
Elapsed Time = 11.25 hrs
Average Speed = 5.4 knts


2252 - Lights out.


No comments:

Post a Comment